The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) on Tuesday reported that 2,987 migrants lost their lives so far this year in the Mediterranean, out of a worldwide total of 4,093.
The IOM Director General, William Swing, said that this loss of lives was “unnecessary, completely avoidable and absolutely unacceptable.’’
“The Mediterranean remains the deadliest route for migrants on our planet,’’ Swing explained.
The arrival of 557,899 migrants by sea has been reported in Europe so far this year, representing close to double of 2014’s total, while this year's Mediterranean death count is fast approaching 2014's yearly total of 3,139 fatalities.
Report says Greece remains by far the destination which receives the biggest migrant influx with 421,341 arrivals recorded to date, followed by Italy (133,451), Spain (3,007) and Malta (100).